I was trotting away with Dreamweaver, trying my best to mold a mess of code into something actually pleasing to the eye. After a full afternoon cram session in the library, I noticed that all of my saves hadn't been copying everything over onto my M:\ drive. For some reason the folder had been carrying over, but nothing inside of it. This is when I learned that my NetDisk had decided at some point during the day that I was no longer allowed to save anything on to or take anything off of it. It just kept saying, "Access Denied." Kathleen worked to help me out, but we weren't able to recover anything. Bummer!
Once I dried my tears (woe!) I started building up my Google Site. As far as jumping into the actual content of my site, I found Google to be accommodating. I was able to doodle some pictures and toss em right up and write my blurb right underneath -- simple as that! One benefit of working in the library all day on Wednesday was being able to look through a plethora of scholarly Great Gatsby books they had available. A collection of essays on The Great Gatsby, a book of Interpretations, a companion reader to The Great Gatsby and best of all, a book of Fitzgerald's personal journal during the last eight years of his life. This really kicked me into fully realizing my website, as a satirical/humorous and most importantly, fictional addition to Fitzgerald's journal. I took the idea of looking at the narrative of The Great Gatsby through the eyes of the other main characters a little bit further and supposed that they drew their own interpretations of each other within Fitzgerald's journal. Underneath each picture, I wrote (and am still writing!) a blurb for each character using the awesome books I found as sources.
One thing that has surprised me during the process of building this website is how few internet sources I have implemented so far. Aside from a picture of Fitzgerald himself, I am using blurbs from a website called "Shmoop" (a sort of cliff notes site) to help provide broad and simple summaries of each character to build off of into a more in-depth idea of them.
I'm going to cut this a little short since I am still writing feverishly on the site! I'll toss a link here incase anyone wants to check out this work in progress.

No comments:
Post a Comment